Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Braving the Storm

Do you ever feel like you are tossed upon the sea of uncertainty, with waves of turmoil crashing all around?

Yeah, that was me a couple weeks ago. Some might call it the refiner's fire. Those periods of life that are so intense and difficult that they can purify your character and forge your very nature.

Lately, a few of the people I love and serve have been experiencing a bit of their own refiner's fire. Some have dealt with bitterness and heartbreak. There has been homelessness, tragedy and turmoil. Watching them try to cope, my hear was filled with compassion and love. Sometimes, I am even brought back to the challenges that I have faced in my life.

Last week, my mind was called to reflect upon the hardest time of my life so far. The period of time when all seemed to hang in the balance. I questioned everything. Was I going to return and follow the beliefs I had treasured all my life? Would I listen to the light within me or stay in a pit of despair? Did I really believe that God loved me? Was I even worth it?

In my reflection, I have tried not to be discouraged. (That doesn't really do much good. I've tried it.) Instead, I want to figure out how I can use those trials and that heartache to help lift and inspire others. I have tried to brainstorm ways to help those we teach feel their Savior's love and know that they never walk alone.

The thing I have found to be most healing in my life is the power of forgiveness. Truly, to forgive is to allow yourself to be released form the binding and destructive power of anger and hurt. The miracle of forgiveness is that when we are not capable on our own, the Atonement of Jesus Christ makes all things possible. When atoning for our mistakes and sins, He saw our weakness. He felt our pain. And He tasted our sorrow. No one can more perfectly understand our needs and cares that the One who took our place. 

There is relief. There can be peace. Just reach out and take His hand.

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  ~Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

  1. Over the weekend, I got to see this address by David A. Bednar. I felt it was fitting for this post. Enjoy!

    https://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete