Friday, April 25, 2014

My Yoke is Easy


  • I've spoken of this experience before, but over this last Easter weekend, it has come back to my heart and mind. I hope that I can do some good in sharing it.

    Several years ago, I had the opportunity to go on an adventure!! I went with some other youth from my church. I tried to be minimalistic as I packed supplies for the week into a hiking backpack. My older brother kindly took the heavier things in his pack.
    We loaded up the cars and drove to the rim of the Grand Canyon where the trail began. From there, we hiked 10 miles to the Native American village of Havasupai and then another 2 miles to our campground. As a 14 year old, my pack felt pretty heavy by the end, but I soon forgot that as we set up camp and then jumped into the cool river to play. The week passed by and we all had a blast.
    Eventually, it was time to head home. We set out late afternoon and camped halfway along the trail. We hoped to miss the heat of the day as we finished our hike the next morning. Unfortunately, that didn't quite work.
    Exhausted and sweaty, I reached the switchbacks-- a part of the trail that zigzags back and forth to avoid creating an impossible incline. This was the last stretch. I tried to keep pace with another 14 year old, even smaller than I was. If he could do it, so could I. Every step, I told myself, "One more step. I can take at least one more. I just have to reach that rock ahead of me..."
    Fortunately, I had an older brother who was looking out for me. He was one of the first to make it up to the top. He saw me making my way and knew I was probably struggling and tired. He ran to me. He traded his bottle of water for my heavy burden. As I took a gulp of the cool water, I could feel the wind on my back. A burst of energy hit my limbs. I thought, "Yes, I can make it!"
    With my brother carrying my load, we walked side by side. Through his encouragement, I made the rest of the journey. With a sigh of relief, I was able to rest.
    Just like that, we all have mountains-- or canyons-- to climb. We may have a heavy load on our backs. You may wonder, "Can I really make this?" Maybe you wonder why you should even try.
    Don't give up.
    I testify that we all have an Elder Brother who went before us. As the Son of God, He walked this life, and He took our place. He sees our struggles and knows our pain. He suffered and died on the cross the He may know how to comfort His people "according to their infirmities." He rose from the dead, that we may also live. He showed us the way.
    As he walks by our side, He pleas:
    "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

    (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment